This classic Italian bread salad recipe is fresh and a perfect use for some quality stale bread. This recipe is heart enough to eat as a light dinner or lunch.
What You’ll Need:
- 1 loaf of stale or crusty country bread, cut in thick cubes
- 10 small juicy tomatoes (change the amount based on size of tomatoes), cut into wedges
- 1/2 of a large Great Lakes Greenhouse cucumber, thinly sliced
- 2 small red onions, thinly sliced
- Small bunch of fresh basil (about 15 stems), torn
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Fine sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Place the bread in a large salad bowl, add the tomatoes, and stir to combine.
- Let sit for 10 to 15 minutes, as the bread absorbs the juices from the tomatoes and softens.
- Pluck the basil leaves and tear them into bits. Add the cucumbers, onions, and basil to the bowl, season with salt and pepper, and drizzle with olive oil. Toss gently to mix, preferably with your hands.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve. At the last minute, add in the vinegar, taste and adjust the seasoning.